09/10/2016

Tape Art Convention 2016

Yesterday evening I went shortly to the vernissage of the TAC2016, it took place at the neurotitan galerie, a pretty cool place. And this Sunday I went back to take part into a workshop about tape art. What is it you may ask? It's the art of producing arty stuffs with tapes of various colours and shapes.

My first Tape Art Convention came right at the good time. I always like to play with stickers and coloured tape, but I never spend half a day on a piece of work trying to do something. Last time it was just to put some marks on the floor to guide visitors. This time I used more color. Needless to say it was pretty fun.



Workshop
The workshop was conducted by the artist Jay Walker who is also exhibiting his work at the TAC2016, if you have seen the giant heart and skull then you know. It started by a good discussion about his work and was followed by almost 5 hours of works for 5 of us.

My first attempt was - not surprisingly - a big failure as I don't master the technic at all, and by choosing an image - which I thought was simple to reproduce - was way too complicated and a bit frustrating... So I did follow the advices from the instructors: take something a bit easier that you like and try to work on it. I choose the album cover of the Beastie Boys Hot Sauce Committee Part Two. Then it became more fun and absorbing. Once I finished this warm up I turn the board we had each participant to work on a bigger scale surface with a white background.

What can I say? It was pretty interesting, good music in the background, I always like to play with lines and geometry so I was served, I wonder how I can create more curved shapes now, but for sure I will continue to explore this thing.


Aucun commentaire: